You can now cost-effectively plate a bright, decorative chrome finish on small parts and be environmentally friendly at the same time.
Introducing the new ChromeVert™ Plating System. This new plating system from ProPlate® uses an inter-metallic alloy comprised of tin and cobalt that eliminates the health and environmental risks of decorative hexavalent chrome. It looks just as bright and shiny as decorative chrome, is very affordable, and offers superior corrosion resistance.
If you have been dismissing the possibility of plating your small parts with decorative chrome because the process was too expensive and there are growing environmental concerns, read on.
Compare ChromeVert™ Plating to traditional decorative chrome plating:
- It’s visually undistinguishable. The final appearance is identical to the white-light blue color obtained with decorative chromium. ChromeVert™ Plating looks every bit as bright and shiny and delivers a consistently uniform finish every time.
- The ChromeVert™ Plating alloy is not the known carcinogen that hexavalent chromium is. In fact, there are several global directives now in place or with looming deadlines to phase out the use of metals like hex chrome, including RoHS (The Restriction of the Use of Hazardous Substances Directive) and ELV (The End of Life Vehicle Initiative). ChromeVert™ plating alloy is not among these listed hazardous metals, and does not have the personal safety and environmental issues that hex chrome does. It’s a more environmentally friendly alternative.
- ChromeVert™ Plating allows the use of the barrel plating, which is very a productive process. Part of what makes hex chrome plating so expensive is that all parts, even small ones, must be rack plated. Because you can barrel plate large quantities of small parts using ChromeVert™ Plating, your plating costs and turnaround time can drop dramatically. This process can also be used in rack plating applications when applicable.
- In laboratory tests, ChromeVert™ Plating has shown to have good lubricity and to be much more corrosion-resistant than hexavalent chrome.
- ChromeVert™ Plating has none of the disadvantages of hex chrome! It’s bright and shiny, affordable, durable, and better for people and the environment.
Independent tests show that a thickness of 10 millionths of an inch deposited on 0.3 mils of bright nickel has more than twice the salt spray hours as conventional decorative chromium. This means your parts will provide the durability you are looking for.
ChromeVert™ Plating is the perfect substitute for hexavalent chrome plating in many applications.
If you have been plating using hexavalent chrome, this process will give you superior performance, lower your overall plating costs, and be better for the environment. If you have not considered decorative chrome plating in the past because of the high cost, call ProPlate®. The ChromeVert™ Plating process will give exceptional results on various parts, including castings, connectors, contacts, springs, barrels, bullet tips, plungers, brackets, stamped parts, coils and tubes to name a few.
TABLE I - ChromeVert™ Plating Wear Resistance Properties
|The test methods used conform to ASTM B 117/537. The abrasion test used is a modified version of ASTM D 968 ( ASTM D 968-8) using 20 liters of sand instead of 100. The two ASTM specifications are partial fulfillment of the requirements of SAE Aerospace Standard AS4984.|
|AL ID No.||SOT ID No.||Original Weight (g)||End Weight (g)||Weight Loss (g)||Liters of Sand||Comments|
|Ni/Cr X = 0.9 mg||s = 0.0004|
|Ni/Sn/Co X = 0.8 mg||s = 0.0007|
Click here for more technical information on ChromeVert™ Plating
Click here for a free sample of ChromeVert™ Plating
Click here for a Request for Quote on plating your parts using the ChromeVert™ Plating System